Place du parvis de Notre Dame , 75004 Paris
Line 1 - Hotel de VilleCite, Line 4 - Cite, Line 7,11, and 14 - Chatalet
Line B - Châtelet-Les Halles, Line C - Saint Michel-Notre Dame
21, 38, 47, 58, 70, 72, 74, 81, 82
Area Hotel "Stayability" Index
(Five is the highest rating possible)
Known as a gothic masterpiece. The cathedral of Notre Dame was conceived by Maurice de Sully in the 12th century. The cathedral took over 200 years to complete. Construction was finally completed in 1345.
Stained glass at Notre Dame, Paris
Notre Dame is the spiritual and geographical center of France. All road distances in France are calculated on the basis of the "0 km" marked on the square in front of the cathedral. It is also one of the most visited sites in France. For those so inclined, it is unlikely that a "hunchback" ever rang the bells, so don't waste any precious vacation time looking
Notre Dame is located on an island in the Ile de la Cite neighborhood of Paris. Read more about the Ile de la Cite neighborhood.
Historical Events at Notre Dame
- Construction of the cathedral takes place between 1163 and 1345 A.D.
- 1452 - A multi-day stage play called "The True Mystery of the Passion" is performed in the square at the front of Notre Dame. The performance continues non-stop for four straight days.
- 1558 - Mary Stuart, (Mary Queen of Scots), is crowned Queen of France at the cathedral of Notre Dame.
- 1793 - During the French revolution, the cathedral becomes known as a "temple of reason" and is spared from destruction.
- 1795 - The cathedral is sold to a private citizen who intended to destroy the building and use its stone as a quarry. Luckily his plans never come to fruition.
- 1802 - Napoleon I saves the cathedral from demolition
- 1804 - Napoleon I is crowned Emperor of France in the cathedral
- 1940-1944 - Notre Dame square becomes the center of French resistance against the Nazis. Later the cathedral withstands a four day German siege.
Visit the official website of Notre Dame for more information.