Hotel "Stayability" Index
(Five is the highest rating possible)
1, rue de Bellechasse, 62, rue de Lille, Paris, 75007
33 1 40 49 48 14 - Groups: adults 33 1 45 49 16 15
Solférino / Musée d'Orsay / 24, 63, 68, 69, 73, 83, 84, 94
Museum d'Orsay History
It's hard to believe this light-filled collection of art was once a train station.
The station was built by Victor Laloux and inaugurated in 1900 for that year's Universal Exhibition. After having received the first electric trains in France, the station was closed in 1939, a victim of progress as newer bigger stations were built. It was registered as a listed and protected building in 1978. The museum was opened in December 1986 and was dedicated to all artistic production from 1848 to 1914. Paintings, pastels, sculptures, furniture and objets d'art, photography and documentary objects reflect the richness and diversity of this era.
Collections: Arts Décoratifs , Histoire , Littérature , Mobilier , Peinture , Photographie , Sculpture
Open: Winter: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Summer: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Late Night: Thursdays until 9.45 p.m.
Closed: Christmas day, May day (May 1st), and New Year's day
Practical Information: Visits in Foreign Languages, Documentation in Foreign Languages, Teaching Activities, Group, Guided Tours Conferences, Handicapped Persons, Wheelchair Hire, Book Shop, Gift Shop, Restaurant, Hire of Space, Photography Allowed, Car Park, Bus Park.