1, rue de Bellechasse, 62, rue de Lille, Paris, 75007
33 1 40 49 48 14 - Groups: adults 33 1 45 49 16 15
24, 63, 68, 69, 73, 83, 84, 94
Museum d'Orsay History
A superb example of a successful conversion from production to practical, the musée d'Orsay was redeveloped in the old Gare (gare means station) d'Orsay railway station.
The station was built by Victor Laloux and inaugurated in 1900 for that years Universal Exhibition. After having received the first electric trains in France, the station was closed in 1939, a victim of progress as newer bigger stations were built.
It was registered as a listed and protected building in 1978. The museum was opened in December 1986 and was dedicated to all artistic production from 1848 to 1914. Paintings, pastels, sculptures, furniture and objets d'art, photography and documentary objects reflect the richness and diversity of this era.
Collections : Arts Décoratifs , Histoire , Littérature , Mobilier , Peinture , Photographie , Sculpture
Open: Winter: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Summer: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. - late night: Thursdays until 9.45 p.m.
Closed: 01/01, 05/01, 12/25
Practical Information: Visits in Foreign Languages, Documentation in Foreign Languages, Teaching Activities, Group, Guided Tours Conferences, Handicapped Persons, Wheelchair Hire, Book Shop, Gift Shop, Restaurant, Hire of Space, Photography Allowed, Car Park, Bus Park